One of the reasons Mike Johnston entered politics was to fight for immigrant communities. As a high school principal, Mike worked to help his students get into four-year colleges, but many couldn’t afford to go because they were denied in-state tuition due to their undocumented status. That’s why he fought to pass the ASSET Act to extend in-state tuition to undocumented students, and it’s what drives him today to address the other failures in the nation’s current immigration system.
Mike’s priorities include:
- Providing a navigable path to citizenship.
- Providing opportunities to law abiding undocumented immigrants, including in-state tuition and access to Medicaid.
- Denying Trump his useless wall and relying on 21st Century technology to address real security threats.
- Reforming ICE, including eliminating the scourge of for-profit companies from our immigration enforcement system.
- Building an immigration system that honors our values and serves the economy by reuniting families and increasing access to visas for those who want to contribute to their communities.
- Embracing those who are fleeing violence, and using existing foreign aid to countries battling violence.