Safety from Gun Violence
As a state Senator, Mike Johnston took on the NRA twice, and won, helping pass legislation to implement universal background checks and ban high-capacity magazines in Colorado.
Mike’s priorities for addressing gun violence in the Senate include:
- Implementing universal background checks and closing the gun show loophole.
- Banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
- Keeping guns out of the hands of those who have hurt or intend to hurt others, including domestic abusers, stalkers and those who commit hate crimes.
- Passing a national Extreme Risk Protection Order law, so if there is reason to believe someone is a risk to themselves or others, their guns can be temporarily removed until they are no longer a risk.
- Treating gun violence like the health crisis it is and funding research into how to address it.
- Giving schools better resources to spot threats and provide interventions.
- Making sure guns are stored safely in homes with children to prevent accidents and suicide.